Alicia Malesani – Illustration Artists

, , No Comments
We're very excited that famed fashion illustrator; Alicia Malesani has joined the Traffic Team for worldwide representation! Alicia Malesani is one of Spain’s most distinguished fashions illustration artists. With Argentine origins, she takes inspiration from high fashion and eastern sensibilities. Alicia’s mouthwatering illustrations capture the true spirit of her subjects. Her dynamic compositions interweave color, ink and graphite, creating work that is elegant, seductive and timeless.






Alicia has created illustrations for many of the world’s most prestigious clients including, CHANEL, Loewe, Max Mara, Escada, Toyota, Fiat, Vogue, Mercedes Benz, Penguin, Harpers Bazaar, Architectural Digest, Marie Claire, Tatler, Elle, Vanity and many more. She has also worked closely with Almodovar on his graphic film materials.



We are really excited that you have joined our Traffic team! Please tell us a bit about yourself. What inspired you to become an illustrator?
I've had a passion for drawing—I do not remember a time in my life that I didn’t draw or paint. I used to watch my mother draw. I remember the surprise when I realized the amount of things that could come from a pencil. As a little girl, at school, I illustrated while I was studying geography or history, always making drawings to remember details. As I was very shy, I used drawing as a way to be more popular, to communicate and make friends.

What has been your greatest influence?
Yoga, Eastern thought and Art. And in illustration, Antonio López, Rene Gruau, R.B. Villaumez, Carl Erickson (Eric), Warhol, Sonia Delauney….



Describe your creative process. I feel very inspired by beauty in general. When I see something I like, I know if it could work for a drawing. Later it comes to my mind as the image I would like to create. Very often fashion, films or people inspire me and sometimes color moods, shapes, design or nature. There are special moments within some projects when you establish a kind of magical relationship; the pleasure is to see this unfold.

Do you listen to music while you paint and if so, what music sparks your creativity? Depending on the mood, I need to hear something that inspires me and sometimes I just enjoy silence. I am eclectic with music. When I need to concentrate I love classical music, and to lift me up I love ethnic music from Asia, Africa, or South America…. Italian 60’s, Spanish fusion flamenco, and tango Argentina of course!



What is currently playing on your IPod?
 Giovanni Allevi, David Bowie, Paco de Lucía, Diego El Cigala, María Callas, Mariza, Santana, Carlinhos Brown and DjivanGasparyan.

Tell us about your technique.
 Pencils work better for me when free sketching and for the final artwork I use watercolor paper with grain or not depending on the project. I use all kinds of brushes, watercolor pens, gouache, inks, graphite and pastel pencils.

How has your artwork changed or developed over the years?
 I have a more intuitive approach to my work now than in the past—a kind of conversation with each drawing. I have less fear to explore without waiting for any special result, which allows me to find my way. I also express more with fewer elements, which is always the challenge.

Describe your studio.
 Lots of light, peace and all the things that I like to be surrounded by— papers, artistic materials, lots of books and magazines. Background of music or radio playing. I need order to begin working, but later during the watercolor process, which needs a while to dry, you can see papers with drawings spread everywhere.



Who are some of your favorite artists?
Cezanne, Raoul Dufy, Picasso, Dante G. Rosetti, De Chirico, Francesco Clemente, Jean Arp, Calder, Frank Lloyd Wright, Man Ray, Poiret, Vionnet, Elsa Schiaparelli...among many others.

What is the best project that you ever worked on?
Several, but if I had to choose one it would be the illustrations I created for Spanish designer Jesús de el Pozo while he was creating his own collections. He used to work with silks, wool, cotton, or any material that he used directly on the body of the model. It meant working very fast and the result was fresh. It was great fun!

If you were a mythical creature, what creature would you be?
Ganesha, the remover of obstacles, it is a mythical creature and a deity, with elephant head and human body.

If you had one day left of earth, how would you spend the day?
Some hours for myself to have time to give thanks for all the wonderful things of this life, and the rest of the day having fun with the people I love.

What are your parting words of wisdom?
Follow your passion! Be true to yourself and follow the things you love to do, the rest will come.



For all enquires please visit Traffic NYC or contact info@traffic-nyc.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment